Thursday November 12, 2009Discussing chapters 1-3 of Henry Hazlitt's Economics in One Lesson and the questions on the corresponding study guide.
5:30 to 8:00 pm
28551 Schoolcraft Road
For the current podcast, we'll be discussing Jack Spirko's Survival Podcast #305 - You Can't Lose as a Modern Survivalist and Survival Blog's related article, Preparing for Uncertain Times--A Simple Guide to Getting Ready.
A big reason for picking podcast 305 is that I don't agree with a lot of Spirko's points and I totally disagree with Preparing for Uncertain Times. Maybe someone will be able to change my mind. While I find disagreement with much in podcast 305 and I agree with some of the assessments that Spirko's podcasts aren't very indepth, I think they are worthwhile. He's not a doomsayer claiming the end of the world is at hand and he seems to be implementing a decent version of the Alpha Strategy. Points in the podcast I disagree with include:
- You can't be free if you have any debt
- Credit cards are evil
- Storing food always pays for itself
- Survivalism creates a better life even if you never need to implement any of it
- The bank owns your home if you have a mortgage (and related to this is the etymology of mortgage as "death grip"; the actual etymology is dead pledge)
Episode-305- You Can’t Lose as a Modern Survivalist
The number one question I get from non preparedness minded individuals when I tell them about The Survival Podcast is simply, why?
Why takes many forms such as…
- Why do you worry about so many things you can’t control?
- Why do I need to do anything different then I am doing now, I got this far OK, right?
- Why should I spend money on things I may never need or even use?
- Why should I sacrifice just to be “debt free” because “you’re no one unless you own money in the nation anyway”?
- Why should I store food?
- Why do I need a gun, we have a nice town and a great police force?
- Why do you feel the need to be an alarmist?
Oh and that list of why’s goes on and on, I assure you. Yet I always answer every single why with the same answer, “because the way I do things my life is better even if nothing bad ever happens”.
Tune in today as we discuss this concept and thoughts on how…
- Living debt free is the only way to have the freedom we all desire
- Why most people tolerate things in their life they should never allow
- Why tax is theft and why understanding it creates freedom
- Why no matter what people say you do need to prepare for bad times
- How the media and the government create plastic lifestyles that we choose to live within
- Why storing food will always pay itself back even if you never have to rely on it directly
- Why a garden is liberating and a financial gain
- Why so many people that start to prep fail and fall out and how to change that